Surviving Summer Vacation by Kathi Lipp
I came across this little gem on Netgalley (LOVE) and it was a great quick read so I thought I’d share it with you. The subtitle of the ebook is just as great as the title: Plans and Prayers for a Mom’s Sanity. Isn’t that great? With families being busier than ever, summer can sometimes be overwhelming. The kids get a break from school but yet Mom still has a long list of chores to get done and now she has to juggle the kids into that mix. It can be stressful.
Here are some of Kathi’s tips that I thought were great:
- Plant a pizza garden, “marinara based meals all summer long” and dinner? SMART!
- Create experiences that Mom wants to participate in too, so it’s not drudgery for her as well. GENIUS
- Summer screen time. Set limits. GO PLAY
- Book club where “no one gets in trouble if they don’t read the book one month” MY KINDA CLUB
- Create a home library: buy books at thrift stores and garage sales.
- Develop a home reading program with prizes and games.
I LOVE these bookish ideas! I would add: make a special reading nook. I like reading in a comfy couch by a window with pillows but wouldn’t an outdoor tent or fort be fun too? Maybe a treehouse?
Check this book out. It’s a quick read and you might find something in it for yourself! What’s one bookish activity your family enjoys during the summer?