The Diversity Reading Challege
I invented the Diversity Reading Challenge for people who wanted to read diverse books but didn’t know where to start. It’s so so EASY. There are 12 categories. Choose one category a month and in one year you will have read 12 diverse books! hopefully the categories will inspire you to read more! I like to read children’s and YA literature, so the challenge is geared toward kid’s books but is easily adaptable to adult books, non fiction, speculative fiction, romance, etc.
When choosing a book for the 2022 Challenge look for books that are/have:
- by or about a Latinx person
- a main character with a mental illness
- by or about someone who is overweight
- an African American young woman as main character
- an Asian American main character
- an illustrator of color
- A graphic novel
- a Muslim main character
- an African American young man on the cover
- a main character with a physical disability
- an LGBTQ main character
- A refugee or displaced person
You can combine categories OR combine the DRC with other challenges. The options are endless!